NEWS, SPORTS, COMMENTARY, POLITICS for Gloucester City and the Surrounding Areas of South Jersey and Philadelphia

Affordable Housing Plans in New Jersey Face GOP Blowback

Volunteer Literacy Tutors Needed in Camden County


(Voorhees, NJ) – Literacy Volunteers of Camden County (LVCC) is in need of more volunteer tutors to keep up with the large increase in residents who need help learning English, math or reading for adult English language learners. LVCC, run out of the Camden County Library System, provides free, one-on-one, and small group tutoring to Camden County adults at the lowest literacy levels and the sessions are focused on meeting the individual needs of each learner.

“If you are 18 years of age or older and have just a few hours of extra time per week, you can help a fellow Camden County resident learn to read, write, do math or speak English,” said Commissioner Melinda Kane, liaison to the Camden County Library System. “You do not need any prior tutoring experience or need to speak a foreign language to be eligible. This is such a vital service that can open so many doors for people to succeed and I encourage anyone is can, to get involved.”

LVCC provides several literacy and English programs including:

  • English as a Second Language (ESL)
  • Basic literacy tutoring in math and reading
  • Topical workshops in financial literacy, family literacy, digital literacy, and citizenship prep.


LVCC offers free training workshops to teach volunteers how to become tutors, during which volunteers will be introduced to the programs and learn how to determine an instructional starting point, as well as how to tutor utilizing certain methods and materials. All books and materials are provided at no cost, and ongoing staff support is available.

Tutors will choose what they would like to teach and will then be matched with a learner who can meet at a mutually acceptable time for one hour minimum per week. Sessions can be held in person or virtually.

To sign up to become a tutor, email [email protected] or call 856-772-1636 x 7331.