No roads will be closed; however motorists should expect an increased police and work crew presence on key shore routes
(Trenton) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials, in partnership with the New Jersey State Police (NJSP), the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (NJTA) and the South Jersey Transportation Authority (SJTA), announced today that it will be conducting its annual emergency evacuation exercise on Thursday, June 1 to practice and refine response activities in the event of a major hurricane.
No roads will be closed during the drill.
On Thursday, June 1, motorists can expect to see an increased presence of NJSP and NJDOT, NJTA, and SJTA work crews along several highways and are advised to use caution on the following key shore evacuation routes:
- Atlantic City Expressway (entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township)
- Garden State Parkway (mile post 0 in Lower Township to mile post 38 in Egg Harbor)
- I-195 (mile post 6 in Robbinsville to approximately mile post 34 in Wall)
- Route 72 (mile post 13.8 in Barnegat to approximately mile post 29 in Ship Bottom)
- Route 47 (mile post 16 to 21 in Dennis, and approximately mile post 32 to 35 in Maurice River)
- Route 347 (mile post 0 in Dennis to approximately mile post 9 in Maurice River)
The main element of the exercise is preparing to set up a contraflow (reversing traffic on a section of roadway to travel in the opposite direction) on these highways that serve as evacuation routes for the Jersey Shore. Crews will be staging cones, barrels, and message boards in designated locations along the side of these highways but will not be deploying the materials. No roads will be closed during the drill.
If you see transportation or emergency personnel on the side of the road, Slow Down and Move Over if you are able. As a reminder, it is unlawful for motorists, including media, to pull off to the side of the highway for anything other than an emergency.
Media outlets interested in covering the event should contact the NJDOT Communications Office via email at[email protected] or by phone at 609-963-1975.