Title: FIRE FIGHTER
Issue Date: 07/01/2022 Closing Date: 08/31/2022
|Jurisdiction:||ALL LOCAL JURISDICTIONS||Salary:||*|
|Num. of Positions:||Vacancies Anticipated||Workweek:||40 Hours per week|
NOTE: Before proceeding, you MUST click here and read the "FIRE FIGHTER FACT SHEET".
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States as of August 31, 2022.
- Applicants must meet residency preferences specified on the Fire Fighter Fact Sheet as of August 31, 2022.
- Applicants must be high school or vocational high school graduates, or possess an approved high school equivalent certificate by August 31, 2022.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old but not over 35 years old (one is over 35 years old on the day after his/her 35th birthday). An exception to the 35 year age limit is that volunteer Fire Fighters must not be over 40 years old as of their appointment date per NJSA 40A:14-45.
- Candidates certified from the eligible list may be required to undergo a medical and psychiatric examination administered by the hiring agency.
- Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Appointees must complete a firefighting training program approved by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety, within the timeframe specified by the Appointing Authority. Appointees are not permitted to participate in firefighting activities prior to completion of this training.
- For some jurisdictions, once appointed, employees may be required to successfully complete an approved Emergency Medical Technician program and maintain certification while employed as a Fire Fighter. Please contact the hiring agency to determine if you will be required to obtain the EMT certification after you are hired.
- CPR Certification: Appointees may be required to possess a current and valid CPR Certification issued by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association.
- Candidates must be residents of New Jersey as of August 31, 2022 and as of their appointment date to a Fire Fighter position.
- Candidates interested in Bilingual in Spanish and English positions will be tested at the time of certification for their bilingual proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and communicating effectively in Spanish.
- The NJ Fire Fighter Examination Administration Guide and the Fire Fighter Physical Performance Test Manual are available on the Civil Service Commission website https://www.state.nj.us/csc/seekers/jobs/orientation/.
- When test dates are established, they will be posted on the CSC website at <fontcolor=#0066cc>https://www.state.nj.us/csc/about/news/safety/index.html</fontcolor=#0066cc>.
Appointees must complete a firefighting training program approved by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety, within the timeframe specified by the Appointing Authority. Appointees are not permitted to participate in firefighting activities prior to completion of this training.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must be completed and submitted by 4:00 pm on the closing date.
Customer Care and Technical Support: If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, customer care and technical support are available during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday, excluding holidays and emergency closings. Please email: OAS.firstname.lastname@example.org or call (609) 292-4144. Please note that application support requests received outside regular business hours on the closing date will not change the application filing deadline so PLEASE FILE EARLY.
SPECIAL NOTES:Only on-line applications will be accepted for this announcement. An abbreviated application is being used for this announcement. No additional information regarding your education, experience, training, etc. is required. Please do not send any additional documentation (transcripts, resumes, etc.) to the NJCSC.
*Salaries vary for each jurisdiction.
Per Public Law 2010 c.26, the reduced application fee for Veterans does not apply since this is a Public Safety title.
Copyright © State of New Jersey, Civil Service Commission P.O. Box 310
Trenton, NJ 08625