CNB Traffic Alert: RT42 southbound lane closed Tonight
Thursday, August 25, 2022
in Gloucester and Camden counties; Leaf Avenue ramps to be closed overnight
(Trenton) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced lane closures on Route 42 southbound tonight to implement a traffic shift and establish a median work zone, as the I-295/Route 42 Missing Moves project advances in Deptford, Gloucester County and Bellmawr and Runnemede, Camden County.
Beginning at 9 p.m. tonight, Thursday, August 25, until 6 a.m. tomorrow, Friday, August 26, NJDOT’s contractor, South State Inc., is scheduled to close two lanes on Route 42 southbound between Creek Road/CR 753 in Bellmawr and the Route 55 interchange in Deptford. In addition, the Route 42 southbound Exit 14 ramps to and from Leaf Avenue will be closed and detoured at the same time. The lane and ramp closures are necessary to implement a traffic shift on Route 42. At least two lanes of traffic will be maintained overnight. By 6 a.m. Friday, Route 42 southbound will be shifted onto the right shoulder to allow for construction in the median. The following detours will be in place overnight:
Route 42 southbound Exit 14 ramp to Leaf/Harding Avenues detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 42 southbound wishing to take Exit 14 to CR 753/Creek Road/Bellmawr will be directed to continue on Route 42 southbound
- Take Exit 13 to Route 55 southbound/Glassboro/Vineland
- Take Exit 58 to CR 621/Deptford/Almonesson
- Turn left on Almonesson Road
- Turn right onto Route 47/Delsea Drive northbound, which becomes Broadway
- Turn right onto Creek Road before the Brooklawn Circle
- Take Creek Road back to Harding Avenue
Leaf/Harding Avenues ramp to Route 42 southbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to get on Route 42 southbound from Leaf/Harding Avenues will be directed to continue on Creek Road eastbound
- Turn right onto Edgewood Avenue, which becomes Benigno Avenue
- Take the ramp onto Route 42 northbound
- Take Route 42 northbound, which becomes I-76 westbound
- Take Exit 1C/Market Street
- Turn left onto Market Street
- Turn right to take the ramp to I-76 eastbound, which becomes Route 42 southbound
The $180 million federally-funded project will build new ramps connecting Route 42 northbound to I-295 southbound, and I-295 northbound to Route 42 southbound in order to allow for the direct movement of traffic between the two roadways. These are commonly known as the “missing moves.” The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road. The majority of the project will be built off of the roadways and will have minimal impact on traffic on Route 42 and I-295. The project is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Variable Message Signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NewJerseyDOT and our Facebook page.