PART OF FREE INDEPENDENCE DAY FESTIVITIES
SATURDAY, JUNE 25, 2022, 11:00 AM– 7:00 PM
The Kimmel Cultural Campus, in association with Wawa Welcome America and The Avenue of the Arts, will host a day of FREE festival-style performances and engaging activities on the Plaza stage under the soaring 150-foot glass roof, as part of the Avenue of the Arts Block Party. This celebration takes place on Saturday, June 25, 2022, from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Block Party guests can extend the outdoor festival vibe inside the air-conditioned Plaza with a lineup of Broadway cast appearances and celebrated local artists, refreshments from Garces Events, and family-friendly activities.
WHEN: Saturday, June 25, 2022
11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
WHERE: Kimmel Center building on the Kimmel Cultural Campus
300 S. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS & DETAILS:
- 10:30 a.m.: Doors Open
- 11:00 a.m.: Local multidisciplinary artist and former Kimmel Theater Residency Alum M’Balia Singley and Jams for Junior Jawns, the ultimate family musical experience, coming to you live from the 215 with original songs and old school favorites suitable for the little jawns, the big jawns, and all the in-between jawns
- 11:45 a.m.: Teaching artists from Disney’s The Lion King presenting two interactive dance workshops
- 12:30 p.m.: Kuf Knotz & Christine Elise, fusing hip-hop and soul with bluesy beats supported by the classical harp. And you can dance to it.
- 1:15 p.m.: Teaching artists from Disney’s The Lion King presenting two interactive dance workshops
- 2:00 p.m.: DJ Chris Blues and The Parkside Experience, featuring 10 line-dancers leading participants in interactive instruction
- 3:00 p.m.: Songstress, activist, and lover of all things sparkly Cookie Diorio, blending genres, from showtunes to Gospel to pop
- 3:45 p.m.: Broadway presentations featuring cast from Jagged Little Pill (music by Alanis Morissette) and Moulin Rouge! The Musical
- 4:30 p.m.: Considered Philly’s greatest groove band, Philly Gumbo presenting their distinct blend of New Orleans R&B, funk, reggae, blues, and soul
The day includes family-friendly activities:
- Disney’s The Lion King mask making
- a baton-making station
- an “instrument petting zoo” presented by The Philadelphia Orchestra, where visitors can get up-close with orchestral instruments
- Guests can try their skills on a replica of the giant piano made famous in the classic Tom Hanks movie, Big – with The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble and Tap Team Two
- Plus, guests get a shot at winning free tickets, merchandise, and exclusive giveaways!
Courtesy of Garces Events, guests are invited to visit a pop-up beer garden outside the Kimmel building on Spruce Street, with additional concessions inside and available for purchase. Indoor refreshments include a beer cart from Yards Brewery; a champagne cart from Volvér, Chef Jose Garces’ restaurant located inside the Kimmel Center building; and food for sale at the concessions bar in the Kimmel Plaza. Concessions for the day will be coordinated with Levante Brewing, as well as Chef Garces’ restaurants Village Whiskey and Buena Onda. Volvér will be open its normal Saturday hours.
Avenue of the Arts Block Party street closures include Broad Street from Locust to Pine and Spruce Street from 15th to Juniper. Wawa Welcome America and Avenue of the Arts will have performances on the PNC Mobile Stage near Locust Street from 11 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., as well as at their Amphitheater near Spruce Street from 12:00 p.m. on. For more info about the Avenue of the Arts Block Party and all other events associated with Wawa Welcome America, visit welcomeamerica.com.
Special thanks to Dietz & Watson, the Lead Sponsor of the Kimmel’s Wawa Welcome America activities.