Closures necessary to establish a new traffic pattern
(Trenton) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced lane closures on I-295 southbound tonight as the I-295/Route 42 Missing Moves project advances in Bellmawr, Camden County, and Deptford, Gloucester County.
Beginning at 8 p.m. tonight, Friday, May 20, until 6 a.m., tomorrow, Saturday, May 21, NJDOT’s contractor, South State Inc., is scheduled to close and detour I-295 southbound after the Browning Road Bridge with all traffic directed to Route 42 southbound. The following detour will be in place:
I-295 southbound detour:
- Motorists traveling on I-295 southbound will be directed to stay left to take the ramp to Route 42 southbound
- Take Exit 12/CR 544 to Route 41 – Deptford/Woodbury/Runnemede
- Stay right and follow signs to Route 41/CR 544 east - Runnemede/Glassboro
- Follow CR 544 east/Clements Bridge Road
- Turn right on Route 41 southbound
- Stay right and take the ramp Route 42 northbound, which becomes I-76 westbound
- Take Exit 1C/Market Street
- Make a left onto Market Street
- Make a right onto the ramp for I-76 eastbound
- Keep right to continue onto I-295 southbound
In addition, at 10 p.m. tonight, Friday, May 20, until 5 a.m., tomorrow, Saturday, May 21, two lanes on I-295 southbound are scheduled to be closed between Creek Road and Almonesson Road to place construction barrier and restripe the roadway. There also may be temporary traffic stoppages overnight. At least one lane will be maintained.
The closures are necessary to shift all three lanes of traffic to the left onto the newly constructed portion of the bridge over Big Timber Creek. This will allow for the demolition and reconstruction of the right side of the bridge. This stage of the project is expected to be completed by summer 2022.
The $180 million federally-funded project will build new ramps connecting Route 42 northbound to I-295 southbound, and I-295 northbound to Route 42 southbound in order to allow for the direct movement of traffic between the two roadways. These are commonly known as the “missing moves.” The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road. The majority of the project will be built off of the roadways and will have minimal impact on traffic on Route 42 and I-295. The project is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Variable Message Signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.