Payment Gateway and its Compliance with PCI DSS
A payment gateway is a technology enabling online business owners to accept payments in a variety of ways, including bank payment cards. This is the hardware that is the dotted line between the owner's website and the acquiring partner. When the payment passes through the gateway, the information is encrypted to protect the buyer's card data. A payment gateway also can be an integral part of a payment provider enabling payment methods to be added to the owner's website. And these payment systems impose PCI DSS compliance requirements on the gateway.
What is the PCI DSS
PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) is developed by Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB, and Discover payment systems. The requirements of the standard apply to all participants involved in transaction processing such as banks, technology service providers, payment providers. In other words, every company that collects, processes payments, stores users’ personal data shall comply with the standard.
The main purpose of the standard is to ensure network infrastructure security, protect user data, and protect the data transfer against interference by third parties. Compliance with the standard eliminates the likelihood of loss of confidentiality and customer funds.
The standard includes 6 main sections, each of which consists of such mandatory requirements as
- Network security creation and maintenance. Providers have to use the firewall programs configuration to protect the payment card data. The second requirement is to avoid default passwords generated by vendors.
- Personal data protection of users who pay for services by a card. Encryption of cardholder and transaction data is mandatory when using publicly available systems.
- Support for a system that searches for vulnerabilities. Antivirus software, anti-hacking programs. Constant updating of databases.
- Support access control system. Determining the criteria of access to confidential information about cardholders. Identification and authentication when accessing system components.
- Regular audit and testing of the system. The security systems efficiency assessment, controlling all access to network resources.
- Information security policy support. For employees working with payment providers, processing centers, and other network members.
https://www.corefy.com is a payment platform that works with other processing providers and payment systems. The platform's functionality allows you to accept payments through over 150 payment providers following the PCI DSS standards. Read more about what PCI DSS is and what are its requirements here: https://corefy.com/pci-compliant-payment-gateway.