Signed detours will be in place overnight
(Trenton) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced lane and ramp closures on Route 42 on Thursday night as the Missing Moves project between I-295 and Route 42 advances in Bellmawr, Camden County.
Beginning at 9 p.m. tomorrow, Thursday, July 22, until 6 a.m. Friday, July 23, NJDOT’s contractor, South State, Inc., is scheduled to close two lanes on Route 42 southbound from just before the I-295 overpass (mile post 14.2) through the NJ Turnpike overpass (mile post 13.5). The left lane on Route 42 northbound also will be closed for a short distance near mile post 13.6. At least three lanes will be maintained in each direction. There will be a temporary 15-minute stoppage of traffic to remove an overhead sign structure over Route 42 southbound.
In addition, the Route 42 southbound Exit 14/Creek Road/Bellmawr ramp to Leaf Avenue and the ramp from Leaf Avenue to Route 42 southbound will be closed and detoured beginning at 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next day. Harding Avenue also will be closed between Creek Road and Leaf Avenue. Access will be maintained for local traffic. The following detours will be in place:
Route 42 southbound Exit 14 ramp to Creek Road detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 42 southbound wishing to take Exit 14 to Creek Road will be directed to continue on Route 42 southbound
- Take Exit 12/CR 544 to Route 41 – Deptford/Woodbury/Runnemede
- Stay right and follow signs to Route 41/CR 544 east - Runnemede/Glassboro
- Follow CR 544 east/Clements Bridge Road
- Turn right on Route 41 southbound
- Stay right and take the ramp Route 42 northbound
- Take Exit 14/Creek Road
- Turn left on Edgewood Avenue back to Creek Road
Leaf Avenue ramp to Route 42 southbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to get on Route 42 southbound from Leaf Avenue will be directed to continue on Creek Road eastbound
- Turn right onto Edgewood Avenue
- Turn right onto Leaf Avenue
- Take the ramp onto Route 42 northbound
- Take Route 42 north, which becomes I-76 west
- Take Exit 1C/Market Street
- Make a left onto Market Street
- Make a right onto the ramp for I-76 eastbound which becomes Route 42 southbound
The $180 million federally-funded project will build new ramps connecting Route 42 northbound to I-295 southbound, and I-295 northbound to Route 42 southbound in order to allow for the direct movement of traffic between the two roadways. These are commonly known as the “missing moves.” The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road. The project is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Variable messaging signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. NJDOT will provide information before any lane closures are scheduled.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information. For NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NewJerseyDOT and our Facebook page.