SALT LAKE CITY –May 24, 2021 – 7:00 a.m. SafeWise, the leading resource for all things safety and security, announced today the release of its 100 Safest Cities report for 2021—with Hopkinton, Massachusetts taking the number one spot.
See the full report here: https://www.safewise.com/safest-cities-america/
SafeWise names Hopkinton, Massachusetts the safest city in the U.S. with zero violent crime incidents per 1,000 residents and 1.61 property crime incidents per 1,000 residents, according to the latest available FBI crime data.
The SafeWise report notes the 100 Safest Cities boast a collective violent crime rate that’s 92% lower than the national average. In addition, the top 100 cities report 79% fewer property crimes per 1,000 people than most of the U.S.
Here are the top 10 Safest Cities in America for 2021:
- Hopkinton, Massachusetts
- Franklin, Massachusetts
- Buckingham Township, Pennsylvania
- Oakland Township, Michigan
- Bernards Township, New Jersey
- Ridgefield, Connecticut
- New Castle Town, New York
- Sparta Township, New York
- Hamburg Township, Michigan
- Bedford Town, New York
Key findings from the 100 Safest Cities in America include:
- The safe cities had an off-year. Violent crime remained stagnant while property crime saw a small rise year over year.
- The rise in property crimes hints at a possible jump in crime rates, which has not happened in over two decades.
- Regardless, the top 100 Safest Cities in America have a violent crime rate 12.33 times lower than the national average, and a property crime rate 4.74 times lower than the national average.
- 91 of the top 100 safe cities are within 50 miles of a major metropolitan area—with 65 of those in the northeastern US.
- 39 of the safest cities are within 50 miles of New York City. Boston has the second-biggest number of safe suburbs with 19.
- The average population of our 100 safest cities is 28,719—nearly triple the national average (10,608) of all incorporated places in the US.
- Weston, Florida is the largest city on the list, with nearly 72,000 residents.
- Average income among the 100 safest cities is $106,298—nearly 55% higher than the median household income ($68,703) across the US.³
- Only 2 cities on the list report a median household income below $50,000 per year: Rexburg, Idaho with $29,910 and Manchester Township, New Jersey with $43,369.
- New England and the Mid-Atlantic regions make up 68% of all the cities on our list.
To identify the 100 safest cities in the country, we analyzed FBI crime report statistics and population data.⁴ The FBI data is from 2019 (the most recent year for which data was available). Our rankings were based solely on crime data; no other factors (such as COVID-19 rates) were included.
To level the playing field, we calculated the rate of crimes per 1,000 people in each city. Both violent and property crime numbers were weighted equally. We also standardized violent and property crime for each state before weighing.
We excluded towns with populations below 2,500 because those are considered rural by census definitions. Then, we set a population threshold (17,375) based on the median US population after those towns were excluded. Cities that fell below that threshold were excluded, along with cities that failed to submit a complete crime report to the FBI.
SafeWise is the leading resource for all things safety and security. We are real people seeking the best products to help you live your safest, smartest life. Guided by our Buy Smart, Live Safe philosophy, we figure out how things work and whether or not they’re worth your money. At SafeWise, we believe simplifying home security and safety helps bring peace of mind to you and your family.