Important Things That You Should Know about Stop Signs: Its Benefits, Limitations & How Drivers Should Act
CNBNews photo credit
Stop Signs, we have seen it everywhere, be it a busy road, parking, etc. they are the cheapest traffic signs that are used to control traffic, but how many of us know about stop signs, their benefits, their limitations, and all such things? If you are interested to know all those then this article is definitely for you.
Benefits of Using Stop Signs
According to Dangerous Roads, a stop sign falls under the category of regulatory signs and is the only octagonal sign that you will see on road.
- It guides the vehicle drivers with the right and orderly way to proceed at an intersection.
- It helps the pedestrians and bicyclists at the crossings.
- Compared to traffic signals stop signs are very affordable to install.
- Severe accidents can be prevented at an intersection by installing all-way stop signs.
- Until a proper traffic signal is installed, all-way stop signs perfectly serve the former one’s purpose.
Limitations of Stop Signs
Though stop signs help in controlling traffic they also have some limitations that we must be aware of-
- Stop signs are meant for reducing the speed of the vehicles but unwarranted stop signs are hardly obeyed by drivers.
- To avoid frequent stopping, drivers tend to just speed up at the intersections leading to the chances of crashes.
- Too many stop signs cause unnecessary delays for motorists.
- No matter what stop signs are, after all not traffic signals due to which they sometimes fail to control the flow of traffic.
Check out various templates of stop sign here.
How Drivers Should Act to Stop Signs at Intersections
Three scenarios can happen here first there is no sign, second, there is both a stop sign and a give way sign and the last there is either a stop sign or give way sign.
Let’s have a look at the first scenario. If you reach an intersection where there is neither a stop sign nor a give way sign then what should you do? You can’t just drive away without looking anywhere! Such carelessness can lead to serious crashes. You should follow a general rule and that is whenever you reach a sign-less intersection, you must first give way to the vehicle at your right.
Now, the second scenario! When two vehicles, simultaneously arrive at an intersection having a stop sign as well as a give way sign then the stop sign and give way sign become equal. Before giving ways to each other, both the vehicles must first let other vehicles to pass.
In the third scenario, there is only one sign that is either a stop sign or a give way sign. If two vehicles arrive at such an intersection then the vehicle facing the give way or stop sign must give way to other vehicles irrespective of whether the other vehicles are facing a sign or not.
Stop signs play an important role in controlling traffic at intersections and these are all about its installation, limitations, and benefits. Hope this article has added to your knowledge. Always obey traffic rules and stay safe on roads.