(Trenton) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the Route 42 southbound ramps to and from Creek Road will be closed and detoured tonight as the Missing Moves project between I-295 and Route 42, advances in Bellmawr, Camden County.
Beginning at 8 p.m. tonight, Tuesday, March 16, until 6 a.m. Wednesday, March 17, NJDOT’s contractor, South State, Inc., is scheduled to close the Route 42 southbound Exit 14 ramp to Creek Road and the ramp from Creek Road to Route 42 southbound. The closures are necessary to mill and pave the road. The following detours will be in place:
Route 42 southbound Exit 14 ramp to Creek Road detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 42 southbound wishing to take Exit 14 to Creek Road will be directed to continue on Route 42 southbound
- Take Exit 12/CR 544 to Route 41 – Deptford/Woodbury/Runnemede
- Stay right and follow signs to Route 41/CR 544 east - Runnemede/Glassboro
- Follow CR 544 east/Clements Bridge Road
- Turn right on Route 41 southbound
- Stay right and take the ramp Route 42 northbound
- Take Exit 14/Creek Road
- Turn left on Edgewood Avenue back to Creek Road
Creek Road ramp to Route 42 southbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to get on Route 42 southbound from Creek Road will be directed to continue on Creek Road eastbound
- Turn right onto Edgewood Avenue
- Turn right onto Leaf Avenue
- Take the ramp onto Route 42 northbound
- Take Route 42 north, which becomes I-76 west
- Take Exit 1C/Market Street
- Make a left onto Market Street
- Make a right onto the ramp for I-76 eastbound which becomes Route 42 southbound
The $180 million federally-funded project will build new ramps connecting Route 42 northbound to I-295 southbound, and I-295 northbound to Route 42 southbound in order to allow for the direct movement of traffic between the two roadways. These are commonly known as the “missing moves.” The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road. The project is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Variable messaging signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. NJDOT will provide information before any lane closures are scheduled.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information. For NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NewJerseyDOT and our Facebook page.