A region that boasts hundreds of acres of lush farmland, New Jersey’s Heartland is one of the best places to source local produce: from plump Jersey Fresh tomatoes to flavorful blueberries. For many, strolling through a farm market and scooping up a basket-full (or more!) of garden-fresh fruits and vegetables is one of the season’s most enjoyable activities. If you want to support your local farmers, look no further than New Jersey’s Heartland boroughs:
CUMBERLAND COUNTY FARMER’S MARKETS
- The Greater Bridgeton Amish Market – Hosting a variety of traditional, Amish vendors, the market has a wide range of offerings from fresh fruits and vegetables to unique delicacies (think: chocolate covered bacon). Local merchants include Balic Winery and Dutch Country Meats, among several others.
2 Cassidy Court, Bridgeton, NJ 08302 – (856)-451-3008
- Muzzarelli Farms – This family-owned market prides itself on always being stocked full of Jersey Fresh produce. The 300-acre farm’s July and August crops include herbs, zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, and many more.
3460 Oak Rd, Vineland, NJ 08360 – (856)-691-2497
GLOUCESTER COUNTY FARMER’S MARKETS
- Duffield’s Farm Market – Not only does this year-round farm raise over 50 varieties of farm-to-table fruits and vegetables but it also has a full-service bakery and deli on its 350 plus acres. A bonus for its patrons: the farm offers a pickup and home delivery service.
280 Chapel Heights Rd #9355, Sewell, NJ 08080 – (856)-589-7090
- Maugeri’s Farm Market – A family-run business, the Maugeri farm grows corn, tomatoes, eggplant, asparagus, and more on its 600 acres. In addition to its selection of fruits and vegetables, the farm sells fresh eggs, home-made bruschetta, and even soft serve ice cream.
1991 Oldmans Creek Rd, Woolwich Township, NJ 08085 – (856)-294-9900
- Williamstown Farmers Market – A year-round indoor market that offers “a taste of Lancaster County”, Williamstown Farmers Market features a full-service delicatessen, restaurant, and 20 other stores on the property. Patrons can pick up produce from the Stoltzfus Family vendor, which also sells fresh-squeezed orange juice and apple cider.
- Blackhorse Pike, Williamstown, NJ 08094 – (856)-875-8039
- Mood’s Farm Market – This orchard features fruit that’s ripe for picking. Visit Mood’s Farm this summer and take your pick from blueberry, blackberry, and raspberry shrubs. Or, visit the sunflower field and collect some flowers. You can also purchase your blueberries in bulk: the farm offers 10 and 20 pound boxes.
901 South Bridgeton Pike, Mullica Hill, NJ 08062 – (856)-478-2500
- Sorbello Girls Farm Market – Starting from just a small roadside stand, Sorbello Girls has evolved into a long-time staple of South Jersey’s farm scene. Summer fruits and vegetables include peaches, plums, broccoli, eggplant, cucumbers, and more.
100 Moods Rd, Mullica Hill, NJ 08062 – (856)-478-9616
- Zimmerman’s Country Market – A fifth generation family owned and operated business, Zimmerman’s is typically open from April to December. Along with offering fruits, vegetables, and baked goods, the market has corn mazes and other holiday activities throughout the fall and winter.
425 Salina Rd, Sewell, NJ 08080 – (856)-468-1611
SALEM COUNTY FARMER’S MARKETS
- Cowtown Farmers Market – Situated next-door to the famed Cowtown Rodeo, this twice-weekly indoor and outdoor farmers and flea market is newly open for the summer season as of June 30th. At its peak, the market hosts over 400 vendors supplying all kinds of goods: from olive oil and artisanal sauces to collectibles and cowboy-wear.
780 Harding Hwy, Pilesgrove, NJ 08098 – (856)-769-3000
- Dodge’s Market – A farm-to-table grocer, Dodge’s Market offers a variety of pantry essentials and seasonal specialties. From baked goods to ready-to-serve soups and meats from their deli counter, Dodge’s Market is where locally sourced food meets gourmet. They are also a full-service florist, with custom flower arrangements for all occasions.
55 Chestnut St, Elmer, NJ 08318 – (856)-358-4571
WESTERN ATLANTIC COUNTY FARMER’S MARKETS
- Angelo’s Farm Market – This quaint market and garden center sells a vast array of shrubs, flowers, and local produce from March through December. Their dessert specialties are made daily, from baked blueberry bread to strawberry apple pie.
5600 White Horse Pike, Egg Harbor City, NJ 08215 – (609)-965-0919
- Bertuzzi’s Market – A popular full-service market known for its homegrown products, Bertuzzi’s offers fruits and vegetables, baked goods, jellies and salad dressings, and fresh cut flowers. To help beautify your home, the market also sells landscaping materials such as potting soil, cedar mulch, peat moss, and much more. The market is open March through November.
831 Tuckahoe Rd, Milmay, NJ 08340 – (856)-692-0025
- Fiorentino Farms – Serving the Hammonton community for over 80 years, Fiorentino Farm’s boasts a swath of loyal customers that drive from near and far for their Jersey tomatoes. Find breads, rolls, pies, in the bakery without artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. Beyond an extensive offering of fruits and vegetables, patrons of Fiorentino Farms can enjoy dried fruits, nuts, and homemade sauces, salsas, and more.
- S Rt 73, Hammonton, NJ 08037 – (609)-561-0300
- Carmen’s Farm Market – Located just off the Black Horse pike in Mays Landing, Carmen’s is both a well-stocked market and a flourishing garden center. Carmen’s offers planting supplies for all levels of expertise: from the avid grower to the gardening newbie. They also have a collection of seasonal fruits, vegetables, herbs, and homemade jarred items from local honeys to jams and sauces.
6181 E Black Horse Pike, Mays Landing, NJ 08330 – (609)-625-2596