America is currently facing a grave health emergency with a serious impact on our economy. Our workers, families and small business owners urgently need relief, and they need it now.
Earlier today, Congress passed a nearly $2 trillion relief package to protect workers and families during the current COVID pandemic. This wide-ranging economic rescue package provides much-needed relief to small businesses, workers, hospitals, health care providers and families.
Breaking Down the Bill
Here are just a few of the initiatives in this historic piece of legislation that will benefit the residents of New Jersey:
- Approximately $200 billion for our hospitals, health care workers, and health research;
- More than $375 billion in small business relief;
- $260 billion in dramatically expanded unemployment benefits;
- Immediate direct payments to lower and middle-income Americans;
- $150 billion Coronavirus Relief Fund state and local government services; and
- More than $100 billion in additional emergency funding to provide resources for child care services, police and fire departments, housing assistance, and transit providers.
For more information on the breakdown of funding for New Jersey, click here.
We Will Get Through This, Together
This is a difficult time, for all of us. While we all continue to social distance and make sacrifices in order to flatten the curve, it is important to be patient and kind to one another. We are all in this together.
In addition, I want to thank our first responders for their selfess, tireless work to protect us. Each day, they risk their lives to protect ours - and we all owe them eternal gratitude.
I am confident that our local health providers are doing all they can to protect their patients, visitors and staff, while continuing to adjust as circumstances surrounding the coronavirus continuously change.
In the weeks ahead, I anticipate we’ll build on the progress that today's bill makes. Our work in Congress is not done – we must evaluate the evolving situation, listen to American's concerns and deliver even more relief in the future.
While we continue to face this situation head on, please do your part and practice social-distancing. In the meantime, do not hesitate to utilize the below resources, created to keep you informed and safe.
- The New Jersey Government has a COVID-19 website with live updates and resources here.
- All residents with questions or concerns about COVID-19 and resources available to them can call 2-1-1. NJ 211 is New Jersey’s statewide, comprehensive, information and referral service operated by United Ways of New Jersey.
- Residents call also text NJCOVID to 898-211 to receive text information and stay informed. To receive live text assistance, residents can text their zip code to 898-211.
- The Center for Disease Control has a resource page here.
- My office has a resource page here.
- Please make sure to follow me on Facebook and Twitter, and visit our website for updates.
- To receive updates from my office, sign up here.
It is an honor to serve this community and we will get through this, together.
Member of Congress