(Trenton)(February 13, 2020)-- - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a series of ramp and lane closures on I-76 eastbound and I-295 northbound as the Direct Connection project advances in Camden and Gloucester counties.
Beginning at 10 p.m., tonight, Thursday, February 13 until 5 a.m. tomorrow, Friday, February 14, NJDOT’s contractor, South State, Inc., is scheduled to close and detour the ramp from I-76 eastbound to I-295 southbound to replace damaged concrete construction barrier. The following signed detour will be in place overnight:
I-76 eastbound ramp to I-295 southbound detour:
(10 p.m. Thursday, February 13 until 5:00 a.m. Friday, February 14)
- Motorists traveling on I-76 eastbound to I-295 southbound will be directed to take Exit 1B (which comes before the closed exit 1A) to Route I-295 northbound
- Take Exit 28/Route 168 to I-295 southbound
Beginning at 10 p.m. tomorrow, Friday, February 14, until 5 a.m. Saturday, February 15, all lanes on I-295 northbound are scheduled to be closed and detoured between Exits 26 and 27 to reset construction barrier for daytime work and repair damaged bridge parapets. The following signed detour will be in place overnight:
I-295 northbound detour:
(10 p.m. Friday, February 14 until 5:00 a.m. Saturday, February 15)
- Motorists traveling northbound on I-295 between Exits 26 and 27 will be directed to keep left and take Exit 26 to I-76 westbound
- Continue on I-76 westbound and take Exit 2 towards I-676 northbound
- Continue on I-676 northbound and take Exit 1 to Collings Avenue
- Turn right onto Collings Avenue
- Turn left onto the ramp towards I-676 southbound/I -76 eastbound
- Continue on I-76 eastbound to Exit 1B towards I-295 northbound
The work is part of the $900 million Direct Connection project that will provide a seamless route for I-295 motorists traveling through the interchange of I-295, I-76, and Route 42. The Direct Connection project has been divided into four construction contracts, with completion expected in the fall of 2024. NJDOT's project website provides construction activity schedules and updates.
Variable message signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of traffic pattern changes associated with Direct Connection.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.