Elizabeth Martelli, of St. Mary's Home, Cherry Hill
(Video) NEWS 24 SPECIAL REPORT : THE HISTORY OF STEPHEN SWEENEY & GEORGE NORCROSS

NAACP, Operating Engineers & Laborers Ask Lawmakers Postpone Vote on Liberty State Park Act

 

Jersey City — The Enhance Liberty State Park Coalition today announced that the NAACP New Jersey State Conference, International Union of Operating Engineers Local 825 and Laborers International Union of North America have all called for the Legislature to postpone voting on the “Liberty State Park Protection Act” Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 16.11.02until the bill is amended in a manner that protects 99% of Liberty State Park forever, secures private investment to remediate contaminated portions of Caven Point and Liberty State Park and ensures millions of dollars in economic and charitable impact do not leave the state.

Letters from the NAACP New Jersey State Conference, International Union of Operating Engineers Local 825 and Laborers International Union of North America calling on the Legislature to postpone the vote until the bill can be amended are attached. A copy of the Operators and Laborers’ letters was sent to every member of the State Senate and Assembly.

The Enhance Liberty State Park Coalition supports protecting forever 99% of Liberty State Park and making private investments to make the Park even more attractive for local residents.  The remaining 1% of the park – currently a contaminated, difficult to reach area – can undergo an environmental clean-up and remain green space through light recreational use of three golf holes that will incorporate habitat and wildlife protections.  The Coalition seeks to amend the legislation to provide the opportunity for the NJ Department of Environmental Protection to consider a reuse and investment plan to improve the entirety of Liberty State Park.

Comments