The log school house in the woods was used until 1830, when a frame house was built east of Union Cemetery and served for a number of years. It was then sold and a brick house, now occupied as a dwelling, was erected near Broadway and Hudson Streets. In 1859, the two-story brick school house on Monmouth Street near Broadway was created, at a cost of $7,000, followed in 1868 by one at Cumberland and Ridgeway, costing $5,000 and in 1869 by the frame school house on Jersey Avenue at Pine Grove and cost $1,600. In 1871 a second house was built near to, and similar to, the first one at Ridgeway and Cumberland; and in 1873 a third; each of them of equal cost and capacity. These fine buildings valued at $2,900 with 750 seats. The number of scholars between 5 and 18 years was 1,636; the number enrolled being 1,046, average attendance 523. St. Mary’s scholars, 250. When the State established the public school system the people of Union Township especially those in the Western Section heartily entered into educational work, and the largest possible facilities were provided.
In 1847, this section comprised two schools-District No. 1 and No. 2 with 62 and 177 pupils respectively. The schools were kept open throughout the year, and taxes levied to cover the cost were paid cheerfully. The Treasurer of the School Board acted as Superintendent; the first so to act was Wm. C. Mulford, M.D. In 1847 and 1948, as well as in after years. He was succeeded by Joshua P. Browing; Wm. H. Emery; Jeremiah H. Banks and Wm. C. McAllister; the latter serving for a number of years, and until 1868, when Township gave way to City Schools.
Under the City Charter, the School Board consisted of six members, elected for three years, and two being elected annually. The Board elected a President, Secretary, and Treasurer, from its own members. The salaries ranged from $400 to $500 for teachers, and $1,000 from Principal.
February 1, 1886-there were eleven teachers-Principal, Wm. Dougherty; Pricilla H. Redfield, Annie Emery, Mary Whittington, Matilda O. Redfield, Elizabeth W. Hanna, Kate McMurray, Willie Cowgill, Emma Mayers, Emma S. Gaunt, Ida F. Fuller. In addition to these are: Judge John Gaunt, G. W. Michaels, P.H. Redfield, R. Heritage, had been employed as teachers in night schools. The member of the Board of Education were: President, Charles C. Collings; Secretary, Wm. C. Turkington; Treasurer, Russell Willard; Duncan W. Blake, M.D. and George M. Dixon.
1868, Wm. C. Mulford; 1869, Sam’l Raby; 1870-71, Thomas Hallam; 1872-75, Sam’l T. Murphy; 1876, George Boughman; 1877, Sam’l T. Murphy; 1878, Wm. H. Banks; 1879-80, John C. Stinson; 1881-82, Henry M. Harley; 1883, Henry F. West; 1884, John H. McMurray; 1885, George M. Dixon; 1886, Charles C. Collins.
1868-71, John C. Stinson; 1872-73, Wm. H. Banks; 1874-76, Samuel Finney; 1877-82, Andrews J. Greene; 1883-85, Geo. P. J. Poole; 1886, Wm. C. Turkington.
1868-73, Geo. W. Dickensheets; 1874, Wm. H. Banks; 1875-76, Sam. T. Murphy; 1877-78, Thos. Hallam; 1879-85, Lewis G. Mayers; 1886, Russell Willard.
(CNBNews EDITOR'S NOTE)--The above was copied from the booklet The History of Gloucester City, NJ. The year 1964 was the 341st anniversary of the State of New Jersey (1664 to 1964). That year Gloucester City's Mayor and Council authorized a Tercentenary Celebration with a number of events planned to emphasized Gloucester City's rich history. In 1964 a 50-page booklet titled THE HISTORY OF GLOUCESTER CITY compiled by the Gloucester City Jaycees, with the help of the Gloucester City Historical Society was published and distributed to residents. The book contained historical photos and documents, that began with the early history of the different Indian tribes that lived in and around Gloucester City.
RELATED: Gloucester City History
Part Eight: Washington Hall; United Mutual Loan Assn.
Part Seven: Gingham Mills, Iron Works, Shad, Race Track
Part Six: The Brick Building; Library; Rotary Club
Part Five: Bill Thompson, The Duke of Gloucester
PART FOUR: Fire Dept./Police Dept./Water Dept.