CHERRY HILL, NJ – U.S. Congressman Donald Norcross (NJ-01) today announced a $1,070,000 federal grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to the Southern New Jersey Perinatal Cooperative’s Camden Healthy Start program to improve the health and well-being of pregnant women, infants and families in Camden City.
“Every child deserves a strong, healthy start in life, and every mother deserves to have access to safe, quality care,” said Congressman Norcross. “As we work together to combat high maternal and infant mortality rates in our state and communities, we rely on programs like Camden Healthy Start who work directly with women and children in need. This critical federal funding will go a long way in helping South Jersey’s families.”
“We are grateful for this award that will allow us to continue our work to improve the health of moms and babies in Camden City,” said Judy Donlen, Executive Director for the Southern New Jersey Perinatal Cooperative. “Important progress has been made to address the city’s high rate of black infant mortality and maternal mortality. We must safeguard and expand upon these services for future generations. I want to recognize the important contributions Congressman Norcross has made to the program. He is a true friend and advocate for Camden families.”
Camden Healthy Start aims to reduce infant mortality and eliminate racial and ethnic disparities that exist among women of color. This laudable goal is shared by New Jersey First Lady Tammy Murphy, as she fights the maternal and infant health crisis through the Nurture NJ initiative. Norcross supports the program and joined Murphy at her Family Festival in Camden on Saturday, March 2, 2019.
“I’m proud to join the First Lady in making sure all families have access to health services and supports. We all need to work together on the local, state and national levels to improve the health and safety for New Jersey’s women and children,” said Norcross.
“New Jersey’s maternal and infant mortality rates are alarming, and for women and babies of color the statistics are even more shocking,” said First Lady Tammy Murphy. “I am proud to stand together with Congressman Norcross and our statewide partners on Nurture NJ so we can work collaboratively to improve the health and safety of all New Jersey’s mothers and babies, and to eliminate the unacceptable disparity for women and infants of color.”
About the Programs
Nurture NJ includes collaboration between New Jersey State departments and agencies; an annual Black Maternal and Infant Health Leadership Summit; the First Lady’s Family Festival event series; and a robust social media strategy to inform and raise awareness.
Camden Healthy Start serves pregnant women and families with children up to two years old who live in Camden City. The program works closely with hospitals, primary care providers and other community organizations to provides family counseling, supplies, home visits, education, and health screenings.
This federal grant for Camden Healthy Start comes from HHS’ Healthy Startinitiative, which began in 1991 to assist communities with infant mortality rates that are at least one and a half times the U.S. national average. Click here for a full list of 2019 Healthy Start grant awardees.
- UNCLE SAM! There Are other Cities in Camden County Besides Camden -cnbnews.net (gloucestercitynews.net)
- Volunteer for Camden County Bike Share Program | CNBNEWS.NET(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Camden FOP President Williamson releases statement to Freeholder Cappelli-cnbnews.net (gloucestercitynews.net)
- City of Camden Receives $3.8 Million Grant for Public Safety Jobs-cnbnews.net (gloucestercitynews.net)
- Letters: City of Camden Just got less safe -cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Fugitive Search, The Deadliest Month, Win One/Lose One, Outrageous, Camden Petition Blocked,The Guv is Coming | cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Gloucester City Fireman Injured Fighting Camden Fire -cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)
- CNBNews Op-Ed : King George and 'His Court' Have No Shame(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Miss America Visits the USS New Jersey - cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Camden Homicide Video: Can You Identify the Suspect? | cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Liquor Licenses Renewed, Moody Gives Negative Rating to CC, Depressing Financial News, Bleak Housing Market | cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Camden County Police Force A Step Closer-cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)
- Update: Family Found/Laundromat Surveillance Video Of Boy in Washer | cnbnews.net (gloucestercitynews.net)
- Video: Camden City Fire 9th and Fairview St., Wall Collaspe -cnbnews.net (gloucestercitynews.net)
- Freeholders: Camden City Residents Need Solutions, Not Rhetoric(gloucestercitynews.net)
- 19-year-old gunned down on Camden street (nj.com)
- Camden Construction Code Official Suspended for Working in Audubon Gloucester City (gloucestercitynews.net)
- VIDEO: SAVING CAMDEN CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT | cnbnews.net(gloucestercitynews.net)