NEWS, SPORTS, COMMENTARY, POLITICS for Gloucester City and the Surrounding Areas of South Jersey and Philadelphia

ICE expects more raids — NJ says 'we don't respond to threats' |
Fatal Motor Vehicle Crash Involving Two Vehicles in Gloucester Township

Bill "The Worm" Seddon Succumbs at Age 72, A Generous Man with A Great Sense of Humor

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 14.56.10Bill "The Worm" Seddon

UPDATE: The family request memorial donations in his name be made to the Veterans Victory Village home, 554 Port Penn Rd, Middletown, DE 19709…/veterans-victory-vi…/

By William E. Cleary Sr.

GLOUCESTER CITY, NJ (CNBNewsnet)(December 5, 2018)—William J. Seddon, passed away on December 4 at the Victory Village Veterans Home in Middletown, Delaware. A long-time Gloucester City, NJ resident he grew up on King Street and lived most of his adult life in the 300 unit block Mercer Street. He was 72. 

Nicknamed "The Worm" by his Grandma Rachel when he was a little kid, the named stayed with him throughout his life.  Asked the reason for the nickname his daughter Cheryl said she didn't know. "I never heard the real reason."

The Worm received his education in the Gloucester City's public school system. He joined the Navy at a young age and got his GED during the time he was in the service. "He was not old enough to join. His father had to sign for him," said Cheryl. 

He was a Machinist's Mate and was assigned to the USS Shangri La. He received his Honorable Discharge in 1969.

After the Navy, he worked in the carpentry trade building cabinets. He also did concrete work for a Gloucester City building contractor for many years.  For some time he was employed as a guard by Camden County working as a guard on the Federal Street bridge in Camden City and later at the  Lakeland Camden County complex in Blackwood. He eventually left the county job and went into the construction business full-time.

"Seddon loved hunting, especially bow hunting for deer, said his friend Bill Cleary. "Once hunting season began he would head to the Atco Pine Barrens in the early morning hours. He would hunt until 9 or 10 AM and rush home to go to work in the afternoon guarding the Federal Street Bridge. He eventually quit his county job and went to work full-time laying concrete and doing carpentry work. He could build almost anything. The Worm had a great sense of humor. And he loved to pull practical jokes. At times he reminded me of a kid that never grew up. A modern day "Peter Pan".  Up in his attic of his home on Mercer Street he had a large HO train platform that he built and played with somedays for hours at a time.  He loved those little motorized cars too that you steered with using a hand held control.

"The Worm always wore that bandana around his head. As he got older his hair started to disappear but he still wore the bandana. 

"His heart was always in Gloucester City. When he first moved to Delaware he would come to Gloucester City every once in a while and visit us along with his other friends living here. This one time we were saying good bye and he started to cry. I asked him what was wrong. He said he missed us all and wished he hadn't moved away," Cleary said.

Cheryl said her father had numerous health problems. "He was diabetic and had the Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). He had part of his lung removed because of cancer, and in February 2017 he suffered a stroke that paralyzed his arm. He died of a heart attack. Because of his health problems the last year of his life he was depressed. He is in a better place now."

Long-time friend Bob Stein said Seddon had a heart of gold. "He was always there to help someone who didn't have anything. He would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. So many fond memories come to mind when I think of The Worm. So many laughs."

"He could build anything you asked him to do, " said Michael Settar, another longtime friend. "If you wanted him to build you a birdhouse that would reach the sky he could do it. He was handy other ways too. He had a big green truck that he fixed up and drove around town. I can remember him removing the engine in it and replacing it with a rebuilt one. He was a little eccentric at times but I loved him like a brother. He could make me laugh. I will miss him."

Besides his daughter, he is survived by his sisters Roberta Harris and Jane Seddon and his brother Robert Seddon Jr. Also his grandson Graydon Cunningham. He was predeceased by his father Robert Seddon Sr. and his grandmother Rachel Seddon. 

Funeral services will be private under the direction of the Matthews-Bryson Funeral Home and Cremation Services, Smyrna, Delaware.

Mr. Seddon is pictured below with some his friends. The photo was taken at a wedding in 1987. Bottom row, left to right, Ken MacAdams and Bill Seddon. Second row, Ken Taggart, Dan Alley, George Spingler. Third row, Kay and Jim Ferry, Michael Settar, unknown, Ziggy Zearfoss

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 17.53.17