GLOUCESTER CITY, NJ (October 26, 2018)(CNBNewsnet)The Gloucester City Police Department encourages safety and supervision during the annual Trick-or-Treat season. This year, trick-or-treat times will be Wednesday, October 31st from 4:00 pm until 8:00 pm. In addition, on Tuesday, October 30th, the city curfew for anyone under the age of 18 will be moved to 9:00 pm.
It is especially important for parents and guardians to adhere to a few safety rules for their children while they are trick-or-treating.
- Know your route
- Take a flashlight
- Be sure costumes, shoes and treat bags or safe
- Remind children not to enter strangers’ homes or cars
- Set rules about not eating treats until they get home
- Candy that has been opened should be thrown away. Any homemade treats or fruit should be inspected closely
- Remember, drivers have a hard time seeing people, especially at dusk
- Never cross the street between parked cars
- Watch open flames from jack-o-lanterns as they can catch costumes and long wigs on fire
- Make sure that fake knives, swords and guns are made from cardboard or other flexible materials to avoid injury
It is also important to ensure that your home is safe and accessible to trick-or-treaters. As adults there are some very simple steps we can take to make the evening safe for everyone.
- Turn on your porch light
- Move lit jack-o-lanterns off the porch where children get bunched up if they are trick-or-treating in groups
- Remove objects from your yard that might present a hazard
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity to the police