MAYS LANDING, N.J. (June 29, 2018)(CNBNewsnet) – With temperatures forecasted to approach triple digits this weekend, there’s no doubt, summer is officially in full swing, which means you may be using more energy to cool your home than you realize. So in between barbecues, beach days and belly flops into the pool, don’t forget to make these simple adjustments around the house, to help you manage your energy use and keep those summer cooling costs down.
- Manage your bill on My Account: Use Atlantic City Electric’s online energy management tool to learn how much energy you are using. The bill-to-date feature shows your current bill at any time during the month. With detailed energy usage information, you can compare trends, make adjustments, and manage your energy more efficiently.
- Turn it off: Turn off all unnecessary lighting and devices.
- Manage your thermostat: Keep thermostats at a constant, comfortable level when at home. If health permits, you can save money by setting your thermostat at 78 degrees. Install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust your home's temperature when you're away or sleeping and save as much as 10 percent off your annual electric bills.
- Allow Air to Flow Freely: Ensure that no furniture is blocking ducts or fans. This will enable cooled air to circulate freely, making your home more comfortable.
- Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed: About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows. Simply closing blinds and curtains, which act as a layer of insulation, can reduce heat in your home.
- Use ceiling fans to circulate air: For those without air conditioning, use ceiling fans or portable fans with the windows partially open to circulate fresh air into your home. For those with air conditioning, fans can be used to evenly distribute cool air.
- Use appliances wisely: Run appliances that produce heat (like clothes dryers, ovens and dishwashers) at night when it is cooler.
To reduce the impact that high temperatures can have on monthly energy costs, Atlantic City Electric customers also can sign up for Budget Billing. With Budget Billing, you can avoid seasonal peaks in your electric bill by dividing payments evenly over the course of the entire year. Customers having trouble managing their bills should contact Atlantic City Electric immediately at 1-800-642-3780.
Customers can learn more about this program and other ways to save money and energy by visitingatlanticcityelectric.com/waystosave or calling 1-800-642-3780.
To learn more, visit The Source, Atlantic City Electric’s online news room. Find additional information about Atlantic City Electric by visiting www.atlanticcityelectric.com. Follow the company on Facebook at www.facebook.com/atlanticcityelectric and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/acelecconnect. Atlantic City Electric’s mobile app is available at www.atlanticcityelectric.com/mobileapp.
Atlantic City Electric, a public utility owned by Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC), provides safe, reliable and affordable regulated electric delivery services to approximately 550,000 customers in southern New Jersey.