The Moorestown Police Department is among law enforcement agencies around New Jersey taking part in the state's largest annual drunken driving crackdown.
The 2017 "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" year-end holiday crackdown begins Dec. 8th and concludes on Jan. 1st. During the campaign, local and state law enforcement officers --including those from Moorestown PD will conduct roving patrols targeting motorists who may be driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs.
"Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" is a national campaign designed to raise awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving through high-visibility enforcement. The campaign looks to curtail impaired driving during the Holiday season.
Nationally, in 2016 there were 10,497 fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes involving drivers with blood alcohol readings of .08 or higher. This totaled 28 percent of all traffic fatalities for the year. In NJ the Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over 2016 Year End Holiday Crackdown resulted in 1,605 DWI arrests (alcohol and drugs)
The Moorestown Police Department and other law enforcement agencies participating in the "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Ove"r 2017 crackdown offer the following advice:
* If you plan to drink, designate a driver, someone who will not drink alcohol, before going out.
* Take mass transit, a taxi or ask a sober friend to drive you home.
* Spend the night where the activity is held.
* Always buckle up, every ride, regardless of your seating position in the vehicle. It's your best defense against an impaired driver.
* If you're intoxicated and traveling on foot, the safest way to get home is to take a cab or have a sober friend or family member drive you to your doorstep.
Township of Moorestown Police Department
1245 N Church St
Moorestown, NJ 08057