TRENTON, N.J.—The Professional Insurance Agents of New Jersey reminds motorists that spring is a good time to talk to their professional, independent insurance agent to discuss what factors affect their car insurance.
The price you pay for your auto insurance can vary. It depends on a variety of considerations from what type of car you have to where you buy your insurance. Prices vary from company to company. Your professional, independent agent will shop around to get you the best value for your money,” says Donald F. LaPenna Jr., PIANJ president. “Car insurance premiums are based on several factors—the car’s price, the cost to repair it, the driver’s safety record to name a few. However, many insurers offer discounts for features that reduce the risk of injuries or theft.”
PIANJ offers a few tips on how to save money on your auto insurance:
- Higher deductibles can lower your costs. For example, increasing your deductible could possibly reduce your collision and comprehensive coverage cost.
- You may want to consider dropping collision and/or comprehensive coverages on older cars.
- Many insurers will give you a break if you bundle, or buy two or more types of insurance.
- Some companies will offer discounts to drivers who drive a lower than average number of miles per year.
- You also may get a discount if you take a defensive driving course.
- If there is a young driver on your policy who is a good student; has taken a driver’s education course; or is away at college without a car, you also may qualify for a lower rate.
“Most insurance companies will offer special ways to save,” says LaPenna. “To make sure you’re getting all the discounts available to you, ask your professional, independent agent to check for all possible savings.”
PIANJ is a trade association representing professional, independent insurance agencies, brokerages and their employees throughout the state.