Gloucester Township PD Alert: Halloween Candy Safety Tips
Sunday, October 30, 2016
The Gloucester Township Police Community Relations Bureau is promoting a safe 2016 Halloween. One way to be safe is to take the following precautions in reference to Halloween Candy. It is a crime to tamper with candy and it will result in criminal charges. Remember to call the Gloucester Township Police Department as soon as you expect that someone tampered with candy. Please call 228-4500 or 911 for an emergency to have an officer respond to your residence.
• Instruct their children not to open their candy until they return home.
• Inspect all candy for tampering before allowing them to start eating.
• Accept only wrapped and packaged candy.
• Do not eat candy that has been unwrapped or opened.
• Never eat fruit or other unwrapped items.
• Throw away any candy or food that is not wrapped tightly by the candy
company. Please call the Gloucester Township Police Department if you believe it was tampered with.
• If you should find an object in the candy or find anything unusual about it,
call the Gloucester Township Police Department at 856-228-4500.
• Do not give homemade or unwrapped treats to children.
Halloween Candy: Bite Into These Safety Tips
• Avoid giving choking hazards such as gum, peanuts, hard candies, or small toys
as treats to young children.
• Children shouldn't snack while they're trick-or-treating. Parents should check
treats at home. Give children an early meal before they head out to discourage
• Watch for signs of tampering, such as small pinholes in wrappers and torn or
• Inspect all candy for safety before children eat it.
• Accept and give out candy that isn't easily unwrapped. Candies such as Tootsie
Rolls, hard candies and certain bubble gums with twist-type wrappings can be
tampered with more easily than those that are sealed.
If you have any questions you may contact the Gloucester Township Police Community Relations Bureau Ptl. Jenn McLaughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 856-374-5735. If you need immediate assistance you may call 856-228-4500 or 9-1-1 for an emergency.
Gloucester Township Police Department
1261 Chews Landing Rd
Clementon, NJ 08021