NEWS, SPORTS, COMMENTARY, POLITICS for Gloucester City and the Surrounding Areas of South Jersey and Philadelphia

GOP Seeks to Ditch IRS Law on Church Political Speech
Island Beach State Park Plover Update

Ramon Ortiz, 59, Sentenced to Prison for the Killing of Camden City Woman

Camden County Prosecutor Mary Eva Colalillo and Camden County Police Chief Scott Thomson announced a Camden man received a sentence of 25 years in prison for his role in the disappearance and death of a 41-year-old Camden woman.

Ramon Ortiz, 59, of Camden pleaded guilty on June 15, 2016 to first-degree aggravated manslaughter in the death of Fatima Perez.

Carlos Alicea-Antonetti, 38, of Camden, was also charged with the murder of Perez.  Alicea-Antonetti is scheduled to go to trial in September.

On May 12, 2014, Alicea-Antonetti, an acquaintance of Ms. Perez, picked her up in his van near her home on the 400 block of N. 41st Street to drive her to buy a car. Perez carried $8,000 for the purchase, according to her family. A short time later, Alicea-Antonetti picked up Ortiz, an employee at Alicea-Antonetti’s landscaping business, Villa Coamo Landscaping and General Maintenance. Perez was already bound and blindfolded in the back of the van.

After stopping to purchase duct tape and other items at the Home Depot in Cherry Hill, Ortiz and Alicea-Antonetti drove Ms. Perez to a wooded area near Clayton Road in Monroe Township.  Ortiz allegedly used a shovel to dig a hole and the two men buried Ms. Perez.  Both Ortiz and Alicea-Antonetti said Ms. Perez was alive when they buried her.

Officers from the Camden County Police and the Cherry Hill Police Department took Ortiz and Alicea-Antonetti into custody on May 14 at the Express Inn in Cherry Hill. Alicea-Antonetti had $7,000 in his possession when detained. Ortiz led investigators to the location where he and Alicea-Antonetti had buried Perez. An autopsy determined asphyxiation caused Perez’s death.

Ortiz will be required to serve approximately 21 years in prison before he is eligible for parole.  The sentence was imposed on Thursday by Superior Court Judge Gwendolyn Blue.

Released Friday, July 22, 2016.