NEWS, SPORTS, COMMENTARY, POLITICS for Gloucester City and the Surrounding Areas of South Jersey and Philadelphia

Watch: Activists Rescue 3 Bear Cubs in Kosovo
GTPD Investigation Yields Several Ounces of Marijuana, Prescription Pills and Drug Paraphernalia


UPDATE: March 26, 2014 at 2pm



NORTH PHILADELPHIA - March 26, 2014 (WPVI) -- The District Attorney's Office has 9480705_186x105charged three teenagers as adults in connection with attacks on students near Temple University's campus.

16-year-old Najee Bilaal, 15-year-old Zaria Estes, and 15-year-old Kanesha Gainey have been charged with Aggravated Assault, Conspiracy, Possession of an Instrument of a Crime, Terroristic Threats, Simple Assault and Recklessly Endangering Another Person.

The girls have all been arraigned. Bail for Gainey was set at $75,000, and bail for Estes and Bilaal was set at $100,000 each.





By CNBNews

PHILADELPHIA PA (March 26, 2014)—The five girls who were involved in a series of three attacks near Temple campus Friday night, March 21, 2014,  surrendered to authorities today,  according to . Police released a video yesterday of the suspects walking in the area right before one of the attacks took place.  That assault involved a 19-year-old Temple University student, a white woman, who was seriously injured when the 15-year-old assailant smashed a brick in her face.

 Why they assaulted the woman is not known.


Philadelphia Police  released  a surveillance video footage showing the group of teenage girls accused of assaulting a Temple University student with a brick 

 According to authorities the African American girls, ranging from 14 to 17 years old, came forward after they saw themselves in the video. "They knew that sooner or later, they would get caught,” Central Detective Captain Frank Banford said.

The 15-year-old will likely be charged with aggravated assault and related offenses in the brick attack, Banford said.

A NBC 10 Philly reporter said the student was walking with her boyfriend near the intersection of 16th and Norris streets around 6 p.m. Friday when a group of about a dozen kids ranging in age from 8 to 14-years-old began taunting them, she said. 

"I'm walking by and one of the people from the group screamed at me, really loud and really close to my face," she said. "I kept walking because I don't want to engage them. Then they start pulling at my hair and earrings."

Her boyfriend, a 20-year-old Temple student, asked them to back off, but the group refused to relent.

"They wouldn't stop touching me," the victim said. She says one of the girls in the group then struck her in the face.

"My boyfriend pushed the girl away from me that hit me in the face and then the girl's sister came at me with a brick," described the victim, who added she knows the pair of attackers are siblings because they said so during the assault.

She says the assailant smashed her with the brick twice, once across her face followed by a second blow to the side of her head.

"I tried to get away as fast as I could," she said. "My teeth were halfway out of my mouth. I wasn't thinking about anything besides getting to safety."

She was rushed to Hahnemann University Hospital, where doctors performed surgery to save and align her teeth.

"All of her teeth were pushed into the back of her mouth," her father said. "Her five top, front teeth were bent all the way back from the gum.

Last month, David Woods,  a Gloucester City resident and businessman was pummeled allegedly by Nathanial_Maybin Nathaniel Maybin, a 29-year-old African American (photo) who has been arrested numerous times over the last 8 years for aggravated assault and other crimes. Woods was coming out of the Maple Deli, at 49th and Lancaster in West Philadelphia when he was struck from behind by Maybin. Police said Maybin, of the 800 block of South 56th Street, hit Woods from behind with a hammer several times. The store video shows the victim was knocked out and laying on the ground in a pool of blood, Maybin kicked him and hit him again with the hammer fracturing his skull.

Woods  was rushed to the The Hospital of University of Pennsylvania where he underwent a
three-hour surgery.  As a result of the attack Woods lost his ability to speak. He has a large laceration on his head that was stitched closed during surgery to release pressure on the brain. Doctors said he will have to go through intensive speech therapy in order to verbally communicate again. 

Maybin surrendered to Southwest Detectives with his attorney on February 25. Maybin was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault and other related charges. He is being held in the county jail on $1 million bail. 

A self-employed businessman, Woods is the owner of Day or Night Door Service. He has been working in the City for several decades installing roll-up security doors. He is married to Connie Cleary Woods. The couple has three children and one grandchild. 

The HUP surgeon who operated on Woods said he has a long road to recovery. If you would like to help the family a Paypal account has been set up on their behalf. A donation button appears on CNBNews


 It should be noted that David is the son-in-law of William E. and Connie J. Cleary Sr., the owners of this news site.