NEWS, SPORTS, COMMENTARY, POLITICS for Gloucester City and the Surrounding Areas of South Jersey and Philadelphia

80 Years Ago the First Drive-Movie Opened
La Salle pitcher Pat Christensen was selected by the Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals Select Shawaryn, Working as a Security Guard for the Phillies |






Michael Shawaryn, a right hand pitcher for Gloucester Catholic High School, Gloucester City was chosen by the Kansas City Royals in the 32 round of the 2013 draft with

(photo by Tim Hawk)
the 954 overall selection on Saturday afternoon. He will be playing for the University of Maryland next year and in the summer he will play for the Brooklawn American Legion team.



Shawaryn, a senior, is expected to be the pitcher on Sunday as the Rams play Seton Hall Prep for the NJSIAA Non-Public A state championship game 3:30 p.m., at Toms River East. The game was scheduled for today, Saturday but was postponed due to the inclement weather and poor field conditions.


According to a recent article in the Courier Post, Shawaryn is 7-2 this spring. He has 74 strikeouts, 14 walks and a 0.70 ERA in 4923innings of work. Opponents are hitting just .133.

 From the article:

In its rich history, Gloucester Catholic has had nine players drafted while still in high school. Bob Sebra was the first, going to the Detroit Tigers in the fourth round of the 1980 draft. 

 There was John Kupsey to the Braves in 1988 — taken 57th overall, the school’s highest pick. 

 In 1998, Kevin Kelly went to the Expos (third round) and the Marlins selected Matt DeMarco (11th round). 

 Mark Michael (Twins, 21st round) and Greg Burke (Mets, 42nd) went in 2000, Zach Braddock (Brewers, 18th) and Dan Feldman (Cardinals, 46th) went in 2005 and Steve Bruno (Yankees, 26th) was selected in 2009. 

 “With those names, that’s a legacy I’d like to carry on,” Shawaryn said. “I’m honored to even be in consideration with all of those names. So many legendary players have come out of Gloucester Catholic and have had an impact on the major-league level.



AN INTERESTING STORY--Gloucester Catholic Cross Country Coach Jack Heath recently wrote an article for Runners Gazette about his part-time job working for the Phillies organization. He started his security job in 2001, and has been on the field and in the dugout.

Here is an "SNIPPET" from that article:

I started working for the Phillies in Veterans Stadium and in the first few minutes of my first game I knew this job would be different. We encountered a belligerent fan in the 700 level ($8 seat!) that refused to stand for the National Anthem while trying to drown out the Anthem with obscenities.

 We escorted him to the exit. He was definitely not a constitutional scholar and went without an argument, eager to get back to the bar he came from.

After a few games in the 700 level, I was asked to go down on the field where I would stay for the next five years. One of our main duties was to keep fans from running on the field. On the rare occasion when someone did enter the field it always came as a shock. You would hear the roar of the crowd and know it was up to you to escort them off the field as quickly and as safely (to themselves and the players) as possible. The correct method to apprehend a “field runner” was to walk after them slowly until security or better yet a police officer could grab them by the belt. They would then be escorted to the stadium jail and a possible $3000 fine. 

The low point of field captures for me was when a naked man wearing only a Reagan mask bolted on the field narrowly missing Pat Burrell catching a fly ball. I was the first one to notice him and ran onto the field only to call off my pursuit when I saw his lack of proper attire. 



Two policemen ran out of the dugouts and grabbed him by the wrist and another security guard provided a moving “fig leaf” as he was escorted from the field. One of the policemen kiddingly asked me “why I veered off my pursuit on that apprehension”. This field crasher faced additional charges for his lack of decency in front of a family crowd but had one thing in common with 99% of all problem fans—he was extremely drunk.

One of the drunkest fans I saw at Veterans stadium was over 400 pounds and was throwing punches at the other fans near him. He had no shirt on, was sweating profusely and was too slippery for the police to get a grip on. I noticed he had a mostly empty industrial sized two liter bottle of Jagermeister in his back pocket. I had never seen a bottle that big and wondered how he got it in the stadium. It took a police cart and four officers holding down each limb to remove him from the stadium. As he was being secured I yelled, “Hit him with the Rhino tranquilizer dart!”  Which got a laugh and agreement from the Philadelphia Police Sergeant and officers on duty.