NEWS, SPORTS, COMMENTARY, POLITICS for Gloucester City and the Surrounding Areas of South Jersey and Philadelphia

CREW: Republican Rep. David Rivera One of the Most Corrupt Members of Congress
TCNJ storms past Western Connecticut 55-27



Tim Lazorko and Jake Nelson Score One Goal Each; Andrew D’Ottavi Makes Four Saves in Win

Sept. 29, 2012

BALTIMORE - With just under nine seconds remaining in overtime, sophomore midfielder Jake Nelson netted a penalty shot past a diving Loyola goalkeeper to lift the Hawks over the Greyhounds, 2-1, on Saturday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex. Freshman midfielder Tim Lazorko scored Saint Joseph's first goal in the 84th minute to tie the score, forcing the game into overtime. In a game that saw 46 total shots, the Hawks kept the Greyhounds shotless in overtime to come out on top with their fourth win of the season. With the win, Saint Joseph's concludes its regular season non-conference schedule with a 4-5-0 record.

Down 1-0 after a late Loyola goal by Connor Thompson in the 81st minute, the Hawks continued to put pressure on the home-team defense. Gaining possession of a deflected SJU attempt on goal, Lazorko dribbled around a Greyhound defender and rocketed a shot into the top left corner of the opposing net to tie the game, 1-1. Lazorko's goal stands as the second of his collegiate career.

Loyola (5-4-1) would see Thompson attempt another shot at the 85:55 mark, but senior goalkeeper Andrew D’Ottavi would make his fourth save of the game to force overtime.

Saint Joseph's continued its offensive momentum up through the entirety of overtime as senior Tim Brennan, sophomore Tommy Brooks, Lazorko, and Nelson fired off a combined five shots in 25 seconds during the 95th minute.

With just under ten seconds remaining in overtime, Lazorko challenged Greyhound goalkeeper Thurman Van Riper, drawing the penalty shot that Nelson would make to bring the Hawks their second consecutive win.

In the first half, Loyola held the edge in both shots (9-8) and corner kicks (6-4), but a brilliant defensive effort from Brooks, Lazorko, junior defender Jake Mulinge and the entire Hawk back line that blocked three shots in the first half and four in the second kept the Greyhounds scoreless.

Saint Joseph's and Loyola recorded 20 shots each by the end of regulation and the Greyhounds held the advantage in total corner kicks, 9-4, but the Hawks found more opportunities to attack the home team's goal as they racked up 11 shots on goal to Loyola's five.

The Hawks return home to open up Atlantic 10 conference play against Duquesne on Friday, October 5. Game time is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.