Almost two years ago my life was turned upside down when I found out I had type one diabetes. Since I was diagnosed, I have pricked my fingers over 5,000 times and received 5 to 7 incline injections a day in order to survive.
People think you can cause type one diabetes, by eating too much sugar, but that's not true! Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that strikes children and adults suddenly, and can be fatal. It is a scary disease to live with. Many people don't know, but insulin is not a cure for diabetes, nor does it prevent its potential complications, which may include kidney failure, blindness, heart disease, stroke, and amputation.
Every three months I have to visit with my Endocrinologist and also get rigorous blood tests to measure my blood sugar levels. I cannot attend play dates or sleep overs like a normal eight year old either and its not fair. I just want to live a normal carefree life like my friends!
Last year my family and friends joined together to form team Courtney's Crew, together we walked for the cure and raised $2,268.00. This year we are hoping to grow our team and raise more money to help JDRF find a cure for me and the other kids with juvenile diabetes.
JDRF is a leader in setting the agenda for diabetes research worldwide, and is the largest charitable funder of and advocate for type 1 diabetes research. The mission of JDRF is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research.
JDRF gives my family and I hope! They are always there when we need them and I have met some amazing friends at their events.
On October 23, 2011 Team Courtney's Crew will proudly walk together again for the cure. We would love to have you join our team. Registration is free! Just go online to www.jdrf.org/southjersey and click on the green sneaker. Fill in the drop boxes and select the Campbell?s Field Walk.
If you cannot walk with us, you can help by making a tax free donation to our team.
* Donate online- www.jdrf.org/southjersey donate to a walker: Courtney Moore donate to a team: Courtney's crew
* Mail a donation: Make check payable to JDRF (memo : Courtney?s Crew) mail to Team Courtney's Crew 325 South Broadway Gloucester NJ 08030
Thank you so much and I hope to see you on walk day! I?ll be the one wearing the Courtney's Crew team t shirt!
Courtney Paige Moore
- CNBNEWS.NET: Courtney Moore Juvenile Diabetes Walk 2011
- JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes Expected to Raise $275,000 this Saturday
- A Parent's Guide to Type 1 Diabetes
- South Dakota Walk to Cure Diabetes Expected to Bring Out 3,000
- First ever Bournemouth & Poole 'Walk to Cure Diabetes' is a Step Out Success
- Walk time is almost here!