As part of its New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (BPU) approved Energy Efficiency Economic Stimulus Initiative, Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is offering the Residential Whole House Efficiency Program (Program). The Program is designed to reduce carbon emissions by helping customers lower their energy consumption. The program will achieve this goal through the direct installation of cost-effective energy savings measures, as recommended by an energy audit and blower door test, as well as comprehensive, personalized customer energy education and counseling.
This Program will provide eligible
The Program utilizes a “targeted neighborhood” approach for program recruitment. PSE&G will work with municipal entities, local community groups and non-profit organizations to target and recruit eligible customers. A participant must be a customer of record with a separately metered electric or gas account. Customers determined to be participants in the Universal Service Fund (USF), or those who are income qualified for other programs that provide greater benefits (such as the Comfort Partners Program or the state Weatherization Assistance Program) will be referred to such programs.
How the Program Works
The Residential Whole House Efficiency Program provides eligible homeowners or tenants with energy saving services in three simple steps. The “Three-Step” approach operates as follows:
• Tier One of the program includes a FREE in-home energy audit and the installation of up to 10 energy efficient light bulbs (compact fluorescent lights called CFLs).
• Tier Two of the program includes a second in-home visit, during which free home health and safety testing will be conducted, and up to eight hours of free weatherization services will be performed. Services included as part of Tier Two include air-sealing, caulking, weather-stripping, and a programmable thermostat.
• Tier Three of the program is optional but intended to help customers make additional energy saving changes in their homes that will also improve their comfort and save money.
• PSE&G will provide customers with a detailed audit report explaining the results of their energy audit from Tier One of the program. The report will include recommended energy savings upgrades that PSE&G can help them install in their home.• These upgrades could include installing insulation or new windows, upgrading the heating system to a more efficient one, and other measures.
• If customers choose to pursue Tier Three, PSE&G will arrange to have contractors visit the customer home and provide cost estimates for the work to be completed. Note: only cost- effective energy efficiency upgrades as recommended by the audit report are eligible under Tier Three.
• Once the customer (or landlord) and PSE&G review the cost estimates, PSE&G will work with the customer to determine if the customer wishes to pursue the installation and what the cost would be to the customer. All customers (or landlords) will repay their share of the cost, interest free, through their energy bill over the period of 60 months.
Additional Program Information
Participation in Tier Three of the program will provide customers with the most cost savings through the installation of energy savings upgrades. The amount of money the customer or the landlord pays for the Tier Three measures will depend on the cost of the recommended upgrades, based on the energy audit results, and the customers’ household income. If the landlord owns the property, the landlord is responsible for payment of Tier Three measures. The customer/landlord will be required to pay a portion of the Tier Three materials and installation costs as follows:
• Customers with a gross family income at or under 400% of the federal poverty level will be provided with an incentive covering 80% of the cost of Tier Three Measures.
• Customers with a gross family income above 400% of the federal poverty level will receive an incentive covering 50% of the cost of the Tier Three measures.
Note: If the customer is a tenant, the landlord will be responsible for approving the installation of Tier Three upgrades and will be responsible for the payment for those upgrades. All customers or landlords are required to repay their share of the upgrade cost, interest free, through their PSE&G bill over the period of 60 months.
Why is PSE&G Providing this Program?
PSE&G’s Energy Efficiency Economic (EEE) Stimulus initiative demonstrates ways in which utilities, such as PSE&G, are best suited to contribute to the State’s efforts to reduce energy usage and thereby reduce carbon emissions. The environmental initiatives undertaken by Governor Corzine and the State Legislature, including the goals set forth in the EMP and the greenhouse gas reduction targets established in Executive Order #54 and set forth in the Global Warming Response Act of 2007, provide the framework for addressing these significant challenges. One approach to reducing carbon emissions is to lower energy consumption levels and consume less fossil fuel that generates carbon dioxide emissions. To help address climate change and to assist the State in achieving its aggressive energy reduction goals, PSE&G proposed the EEE Stimulus Initiative.
For More Information
For additional program information, please call 1-800-854-4444.