Caption by Bill Cleary (photos by Adrianne Parent)
THE GRAND OPENING of the City of Gloucester City Water Works was held on September 21. Attending the ceremony were former council members who were instrumental in the planning of the project along with present council members who continued to work on the plans and passed legislation for the funding of the $9.6 million plant.
Present council members: Mayor William James, Council members John Hutchinson, Dan Spencer Jr., Nicholas Marchese, Bruce Parry, Jay Brophy, Kellie Ferry, administrator Jack Lipsett.
The existing Gloucester City Water Treatment Plant was originally constructed in the early 1880s. The reservoir and filter building were constructed in 1883, while the settling tank and pump house were constructed in 1921. The main treatment equipment, which are the pressure sand filter tanks were installed in 1959.