Pet Tip of the Week
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Teaching Your Dog Tricks
Pets are part of our family. A good way to really show Fido off is to teach him a few simple tricks to impress your friends!
Trick training using food rewards is fast and easy. It provides mental stimulation for your dog and most simple tricks can be taught in under 20 minutes. Here are two basic tricks to get you started:
- Put your dog into a “sit”
- Hold a treat in your hand, eye-level to the dog and lower it to the floor as you say, “Take a bow”.
- Bring the treat back up to the dog’s eye-level.
Keep repeating these three steps until Fido will accomplish the fete with just your hand signal.
- Teach your dog to touch your hand by saying, “Touch”. Do this 10 times; praising each time Fido accomplishes the fete.
- Gradually raise your hand higher and say, “Touch five”. Do this 10 times; praising each time Fido accomplishes the fete.
- Turn your hand so that your palm faces the dog and raise it so that it is level to his chest. Instead of “Touch five” change it to “High five!” Now you’ve got something to brag about!
If you’d like to contact me privately please call 856-349-2508. There is never a fee for phone or email consultations. You can also email me at [email protected] or simply reply to this post. I will be happy to listen.
Next week’s topic will be entitled: Is Your Dog a Groomer’s Nightmare? As always, Cleary’s notebook encourages dialogue so your comments are welcome!
Wado, udohiyu, (thank you very much, in the Cherokee language)
Brother of the Wolf, LLC