You must provide a copy of Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, the first time you claim the exemption. This form does not need to be provided each year. The United States National Archives and Records Administration can assist with obtaining a copy of your DD-214.
You can certify for the exemption by sending a copy of your DD-214 and Veteran Exemption Submission Form to the Division before you file, which may help process your return faster. To certify:
- Use our secure document upload feature to submit your DD-214 and Veteran Exemption Submission Form. Enter the notice code VET and select PO Box 440; or
- Mail a copy of your DD-214 and Veteran Exemption Submission Form to: The New Jersey Division of Taxation, Veteran Exemption, PO Box 440, Trenton, NJ 08646-0440; or
- Fax your DD-214 and Veteran Exemption Submission Form to 609-633-8427.
If you do not certify before you file for the exemption, you will need to submit a copy of your DD-214 when you file using:
- A Paper Return. Enclose a copy of your DD-214 with your return;
- NJ Fill’nFile. Upload your DD-214, along with all of your other documentation, into the repository;
- Other Electronic Filing Methods. If you file your return using NJ WebFile, third-party software (such as TurboTax), or you have a tax professional who electronically submits your return, you can send a copy of your DD-214 and Veteran Exemption Submission Form using one of the three certification methods listed above.