William E. Cleary Sr. | CNBNewsnet
GLOUCESTER CITY, NJ (July 26, 2017)—According to sources, who wished to remain anonymous, the Gloucester City Board of Education has been able to reduce the 2017-18 budget by $512,000 without having to cut any employees. The sources said the board canceled the plans to erect bleachers and a 145-square foot platform at the top of bleachers to be used for filming games at the Market Street Middle School football field. The source said the other savings came about through retirements and not filling those positions. Another reduction had something to do with the storage (archiving) of M.E. Costello elementary school documents. The Board voted on the changes at a standing room only meeting held July 26 in the high school media room.
Last month’s passage of an NJ State bill to increase funding for school districts who have not gotten their fair share of aid resulted in over A $512,000 cutback in state funding for Gloucester City schools. The new plan was the brain-child of NJ State Senator Steve Sweeney (D).
Under this spending plan that money will now go to districts that have been underfunded by the state for many years, according to Sweeney. For example, the Kingsway Regional School District will see an increase in aid of four percent this upcoming school year.
Senate President Sweeney, Assemblyman John Burzichelli, and Assemblyman Adam Taliaferro met with local officials, educators, and community members to discuss the new state budget on July 13 at Kingsway. The budget will add $150 million in aid and reallocate $30 million to underfunded districts as the first step towards full funding. (source NJ.com)