Avoid Cold-related Illness, Prepare for Power Outages
The New Jersey Department of Health would like to remind residents to take steps to protect themselves and their families as the upcoming storm is expected to bring heavy snow accumulation and gusty winds to New Jersey on Tuesday. Residents should prepare for blizzard conditions and possible power outages.
"Cold weather, snow and ice increase the risk for illness and injury," Health Commissioner Cathleen Bennett said. "Avoid overexertion while shoveling, and in case of power outage, use gas-powered generators according to manufacturer’s instructions and check food temperatures before consuming.”
To avoid cold-related illness and injury:
greater than 500 1.034 2 sections
Dress in layers while outdoors and wear a hat to help retain body heat. If you get wet, change into dry clothes as soon as possible.
Drink fluids during periods of cold stress. Avoid drinking alcohol; it can accelerate the loss of body heat.
Many cold-weather injuries result from falls on ice-covered sidewalks and other surfaces around the home. Use rock salt or other chemical de-icing compound to keep walkways, steps, driveways and porches as ice-free as possible.
When shoveling snow:
greater than 500 1.038 2 sections
Ease into shoveling and warm up as if you are exercising. Don't over-exert yourself. Shoveling snow can raise your heart rate and blood pressure dramatically
Push snow instead of lifting it
Use your legs and not your back to lift snow
Don't pick too much snow up at once. If the snow is wet and heavy, use a small shovel, or only fill one-fourth or one-half of a large shovel
If you run out of breath, take a break.
If you feel tightness in your chest, stop shoveling immediately and call for medical assistance if symptoms persist
Carbon monoxide (referred to as CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning material containing carbon. High levels of carbon monoxide can cause brain damage and death. It cannot be seen, heard or smelt which is why it has been nicknamed the "silent killer." If you suspect CO poisoning, take immediate action:
Call 9-1-1 immediately if a person is not breathing, unconscious or unresponsive, or is having seizures or convulsions
Exit the home, building or enclosed space immediately
Contact your local fire department
From a safe area, call the NJ Poison Information and Education System experts at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate treatment advice
Safety tips when using generators include:
greater than 500 1.79 2 sections
Never run a generator within a basement, garage or any enclosed or partially enclosed structure
Never position a generator close to windows and doors
Use battery-operated carbon monoxide alarms. Test and change the batteries regularly
Never connect a generator directly to home wiring unless your home has been wired for generator use. This can cause backfeeding along power lines and electrocute anyone encountering them, including line workers making repairs
Always plug appliances directly into generators
Use heavy-duty, outdoor-rated extension cords. Make sure extension cords are free of cuts or tears and the plug has three prongs
Ensure your generator is properly grounded
Never overload a generator. A portable generator should only be used when necessary to power essential equipment or appliances
Turn off all equipment powered by a generator before shutting it down
Keep the generator dry. Operate it on a dry surface under an open structure
Always have a fully charged fire extinguisher nearby
Never fuel a generator while it is operating and wait until it is cool to the touch
Read and adhere to the manufacturer's instructions for safe operation
If the power is out for longer than 4 hours, follow these food safety guidelines:
greater than 500 2.632 3 sections
For the freezer section: A freezer that is half full will hold food safely for up to 24 hours. A full freezer will hold food safely for 48 hours. Do not open the freezer door if you can avoid it.
For the refrigerated section: Pack milk and other dairy products, meat, fish, eggs, gravy, and spoilable leftovers into a cooler surrounded by ice.
Use a food thermometer to check the temperature of your food right before you cook or eat it. Throw away any food that has a temperature of more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Visit www.nj.gov/ for the latest storm updates.