Corporate Welfare Is No Way To Grow Our Economy!
Join AFP for the Grand Opening of our new Monmouth Junction field office this coming Monday, August 26 at 7PM! Details below!
They just don’t get it.
For far too many Trenton legislators, the solution to our economic problems is not more economic freedom but more crony capitalism and central planning by Trenton bureaucrats.
Last week the Senate passed what amounts to a corporate welfare bill on steroids – the sorely mislabeled “Economic Opportunity Act of 2013.” The bill has been in the works for months and, after much wrangling, made its way through the Legislature with bipartisan support.
The bill would reduce the number of “incentive” programs from five to two, leaving in place the Grow New Jersey Assistance Program (GROW) and the Economic Redevelopment and Growth Grant Program (ERG). Under GROW, developers would receive tax breaks for private construction projects while ERG “incentivize[s] the building of public infrastructure critical to redevelopment projects.”
Here are some of the lowlights of this terrible piece of legislation:
- Expands Tax Breaks: More corporations would be eligible for tax breaks under GROW as the threshold for capital investment and employment eligibility is lowered and the tax breaks would apply to a wider geographic area.
- Incentives for Developing in “Smart Growth” Areas: Provides bonus tax credits under GROW and ERG to developers building in “smart growth areas”.
- Funnels More Money to Urban Areas: Creates a Garden State Growth Zone (GSGZ) program, specifically benefitting the cities of Camden, Trenton, Paterson and Passaic. Developers in these GSGZ areas would not pay property taxes for 10 years while incrementally paying more over the following 10 years.
- Big Labor Payoff: Expands prevailing wage, compelling developers receiving GROW or ERG tax breaks to pay inflated union wages to their construction workers and workers “employed to perform building maintenance services.”
As AFP pointed out in our press statement, “corporate welfare is no way to grow an economy.” Prosperity will only be realized when New Jersey embraces economic freedom: by cutting taxes, rolling back crippling regulations and limiting the intrusive and spendthrift nature of our state government.
TAKE ACTION! The “Economic Opportunity Act” is now headed for Gov. Christie’s desk!
Call Gov. Christie at 609-292-6000 and tell him it’s time for Trenton to stop the corporate cronyism! Urge him to veto the so-called “Economic Opportunity Act” and stand up for taxpayers!
- According to the Tax Foundation, New Jersey lost $15.7 BILLION in wealth from earners who fled the state from 2000-2010.
- NJ.com: Obamacare to end health plan used by 100,000 New Jerseyans
- The Mayor of Egg Harbor Twp. says he can no longer afford to keep his home there because of the $31k property tax bill!
Grand Opening of AFP’s Monmouth Junction Office, Monday, Aug. 26 at 7PM!
AFP’s conservative grassroots effort to bring economic freedom to New Jersey in 2013 continues to pick up steam!
Last Tuesday evening we had a great turnout of more than 50 area activists for the Grand Opening of our new Cherry Hill field office! Click here to check out pictures from this successful event and here for the Philly Inquirer’s article!
And this coming Monday, August 26 at 7PM, AFP will hold another Grand Opening event for our new field office in Monmouth Junction! See below for the details of this event and come celebrate as AFP opens the doors to our newest home base in Middlesex County!
Click here to become one of our grassroots volunteers fighting to change Trenton this year!
AFP Field Offices & Contact Information!
24 River Road (Suite 205), Bogota, NJ 07603 (Map)
Contact: Mary Ann Dillon (firstname.lastname@example.org), Phone: 201-487-8844
1442 New Rd., Suite 1, Northfield, NJ 08225 (Map)
Field Director: Chris Trimarchi (email@example.com), Phone: 631-759-6040
Co-sponsored by our friends at Liberty & Prosperity!
Cherry Hill Office
2020 Fairfax Avenue, Suite 202, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 (Map)
Field Director: Danielle Cyr (firstname.lastname@example.org), Phone: 201-705-3246
Co-sponsored by our friends at the West Jersey Tea Party!
Washington Twp. (Gloucester County)
University Executive Campus, 151 Fries Mill Rd. (Suite 505)Washington Twp. (Turnersville), NJ 08012 (Map)
Field Director: Dave Burnett (email@example.com), Phone:201-410-1131
On To Victory,
Americans for Prosperity is working hard to protect your rights and keep taxes low. With your donation we can contact more likeminded citizens, build more interactive websites to help you stay involved and enabling us to be even more successful in our efforts. Donate HERE or you can mail a check to:Americans for Prosperity-New Jersey, 24 River Road, Suite 205, Bogota, NJ 07603.